You recently bought an Xbox Gaming console. Before you can start leveraging the incredible games and other apps on your Xbox Gaming console, you will need to connect your Microsoft account with the device. You will need to connect your Microsoft account with Xbox via the microsoft.com/link. This guide will help you connect your Microsoft account to Xbox on microsoft.com/link.
Steps to link Microsoft Account with Xbox at Microsoft.com/link
Although there are many ways to sign into your Microsoft account on Xbox via different methods, this post will help you to connect to your Microsoft account using microsoft.com/link
- Turn on the Xbox Gaming Console to ensure it is connected via WiFi.
- You may need to follow some instructions on the screen if you’re launching your Xbox first time.
- After you are directed to your Xbox console’s home screen, press the Xbox icon button with your remote controller. This will open the menu on your left screen.
- Select the Sign-in option from the menu. The next screen will appear. Here you will be asked to enter your password.
- Tap on the Use another device button if you don’t want to enter your password. This will take you to another screen, where you’ll be given an 8-digit code and a link – Microsoft.com/link.
- To access your account connection page, use this link from your computer/phone browser.
- Enter the code you received from your Xbox device-connected TV screen on the page that loads.
- After you have completed entering the code click the Next button.
- Enter your Microsoft account Username (Email or Phone) on the next screen and click Next. Next, enter your password and click on Sign In.
- Select the Yes/No option to remain logged in. The message will say “You are now signed into Xbox. This window can be safely closed.
You can now return to your Xbox-connected TV screen, and you can start playing your favorite games. Your profile history, including Gamerscore and Gamertag, Achievements, will be saved to your Microsoft account when you connect it to the Xbox.
Use Passkey to make the most of your Microsoft Account on Xbox
While the above instructions will allow you to connect your Microsoft account with your Xbox console, you should consider a passkey if you want to take full advantage of Microsoft services. When enabled, a passkey adds an extra layer of security and offers the following benefits:
- Even if the password is known, it protects against unauthorised access to Xbox.
- The passkey is required to make purchases.
- Without the passkey, parental controls cannot be altered.
- You can set a passkey to your profile so that it is effective on any Xbox consoles you use with the same account.
To create a passkey
Follow these instructions to create a passkey on your Xbox Console.
- To access the guide, use your controller to press the Xbox button.
- Next, navigate to Profile & System > Settings > Account.
- Next, choose the Sign-in security & Passkey option.
- Next, tap the Create my Passkey option.
- To confirm your passkey, you can enter a 6-digit code twice. Your passkey will then be created.
Change your Passkey
Follow these steps to easily change your Xbox passkey.
- You can access the guide by pressing the Xbox button on the remote controller.
- Next, navigate to Profile and system > Settings > Account.
- Next, choose the Sign-in security & Passkey option.
- Next, click on the Change my Passkey option.
- Enter the 6-digit passkey you have now followed by the new one.
- You can save the changes to make your new passkey effective.
This is how to connect your Microsoft account to Xbox at Microsoft.com/link, and then secure your console using a passkey. Follow the steps below to link your Microsoft account to Nintendo Switch via microsoft.com/link
Connect your Microsoft account to Nintendo Switch via the microsoft.com/link
Users of the Nintendo Switch can connect their Microsoft account to Microsoft.com/link in order to play Minecraft with other players than those that are part of the Nintendo Switch platform. The instructions below will help you understand the process.
- Launch Minecraft on your Nintendo Switch
- Select the Sign in with a Microsoft account option from the Minecraft home screen.
- The next screen will provide you with an 8-digit code as well as a link to the Microsoft.com/link website to complete the process.
- Now, open the link from your browser on your phone/pc and type the code into the field.
- Tap the Next button to sign in to Microsoft.
- After logging in, follow the rest of the instructions to connect your Microsoft account with the Nintendo Switch console. Now you can play Minecraft with any of the players who use Windows 10, Android, Xbox or iOS.
Most Frequently Asked Questions
It appears that the code is invalid. What can you do to fix it?
Verify that you have entered the correct code and that it is in the correct casing. Try restarting your device to retrieve a new code if the problem persists. You should not close the screen that displays the code until you have completed the connection process.
How do you sign in to the Xbox console directly using a controller?
- If you are not logged in, tap on the Add new option. Follow the prompts.
- If someone is already logged in, navigate to Profile and system > tap the Add or Switch option and then click the Add new option. Follow the instructions on screen.
How do I recover my Microsoft account password?
- Go to the Microsoft account reset page (https://account.live.com/password/reset).
- Click Next to enter your Email, phone number, or Skype name.
- Follow the prompts on the screen to reset your Microsoft account password.
What Xbox Gaming consoles are compatible with Microsoft accounts via microsoft.com/link?
An Xbox Series X/S console or Xbox One console can easily be connected to a Microsoft account via the microsoft.com/link.