This page explains how to create an online USCIS account. Once you have created an account, you can file forms and pay fees online from any device, including your phone or tablet.
Step 1: Sign up
You should not share your account with anyone. Your USCIS online account is for you only. Individual accounts enable us to provide the best service and protection for you.
Step 2: Type your email address into the box and click “Sign up”
To create your USCIS online account and log in, you will need your email address. All email communications will be sent to this address.
Step 3: Confirm your account
- We will send you a confirmation message at the email address that you have provided
- To log in to your USCIS account online, click the link within the confirmation message. Continue creating your USCIS account online by clicking the link again
- In case you don’t receive confirmation email within 10 minutes, please check your junk mail folder or your spam folder
- For more information, click “Didn’t receive confirmation instructions” if your confirmation email is not found in your spam or junk mail folders.
Step 5: Enter a password, and then click “Submit.”
- For your USCIS Online Account, create a password. The password should be:
- At least eight characters should be included;
- At least one letter must be in uppercase, at most one letter should be lowercase, and at minimum one special character.
- After you have created and confirmed your password, click “Submit”.
Step 6: Select the method you wish to receive your verification code (email, text or app), and then click “Submit.”
You will need to enter a unique verification code each time you log into your USCIS online account. This adds an additional layer of security to your USCIS online account.
- The one-time password will be generated automatically and sent to you via email or text message to your mobile phone, depending on the method you choose to receive it.
- For your one-time password to be sent, we recommend that you choose both email and text messages for it. Click “Submit” to confirm.
- Selecting “Mobile” will prompt you to enter your U.S. cell phone number. Standard text messaging rates might apply.
- Your one-time verification code may take some time to arrive. Note: If you chose the email option, be sure to check your spam or junk mail folders in addition to your inbox.
Step 7: Enter the verification code and click “Submit.”
You will be able to get a unique verification code by email or SMS every time you log into the site. It can be used to verify your identity, and it can be sent to you via text message or email depending on how you choose.
- Click the button to enter your one-time passcode in the box under “Secure one time password” and click
- If your authentication code has not arrived within 10 minutes, please select “request an additional one-time password.”
Step 8: You will receive a backup code for two-step verification when you create an account. Keep a copy of the code safe by printing it or saving it. Click “Proceed.”
Step 9: Choose the password reset questions and answers.
- Select five questions to reset your password using the drop-down menu. These questions will be used to verify your identity if you forget your password.
- In the provided space, type the answer to each question. These answers will be required if you need to reset your password.
- Once you are done, click “Submit”.
Step 10: You are now logged into your USCIS online account. You can choose which USCIS service you wish to log in. Select myUSCIS in this instance.
Step 11: Select “I’m a petitioner, applicant, or requestor” under Account Type and click “Submit.”
In the email account that you provided, you should receive a confirmation message confirming that your USCIS online account has been created successfully.
Step 12: You will be notified that your USCIS online account has been created.
An email should be sent to confirm that your USCIS online account has been created successfully
Step 13: Upload paper-filed applications into your account.
Even if you have to file on paper, you can still add paper-filed cases into your account. Click on “My Account”, then click “Add a Paper-Filed Case” from the drop-down menu. You can view your case history and status by entering your receipt number.
If your case was not filed online, but you have a receipt number beginning with “IOE” or the Online Access Code that you received on your USCIS Account Access Note, you can add it to your account. You will be able view case status, history, send secure messages and view notices. You can also respond to Requests for Evidence.
If you are an attorney, representative or other person who wants to add paper-filed applications to your online account, you will need the Online Access Code that you received in your USCIS Account Access Notice. You can find more information on the Online Filing for Accredited Representatives and Attorneys page.
Step 14: Fill out an online form or look over and sign the forms your representative or attorney has prepared.
Online submissions offer many benefits. You can get helpful tips and instructions from USCIS while you fill out your application online. Visit the Forms Available To File Online page to learn more about which forms are available.
Online Form Filling
Click “File an online form” from your account homepage to start a new one. Upload evidence, pay, and complete the form.
Register a representative Passcode
To access your online form, click on “Enter a representative password” and you will be able to access the form.
Step 15: Manage your case online.
You can access your USCIS online account and send secure messages.